- mNotation: website for Bargsten’s ‘mNotation’ system
- Instance JB01:For String Quartet and Digital Audio Track: paper [Joey Bargsten]
- Instance JB02:For Mixed Sextet: paper [Joey Bargsten]
- Hybrid Forms and Syncretic Horizons: Speculations on Experimental Digital Media: book [Joey Bargsten]
“Joey Bargsten has been composing music and creating experimental media and films since 1978.
His music has been played by the Indianapolis Symphony and the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra, and has been featured at the New York University film festival, the Atlanta Arts Festival, and on National Public Radio’s International Concert Hall.
He received awards from the New Media INVISION Competition and PRINT Magazine’s Interaction 2000 Annual for BAD MIND TIME(tm) (www.badmindtime.com), an interactive CD-ROM/DVD/website that has been described as “a charming personal entertainment system where Joycean puns and references to game shows collide randomly in an idiosyncratic homage to twentieth century art and pop culture.” (-Print Magazine). BAD MIND TIME(tm) also won the audience award at the 2004 Stuttgart Filmwinter Expanded Media Festival, and was included in the 2005 Web Bienniale.
He recently completed his digital do-it-yourself iPod opera, Anatomy of Melancholy(tm), and has presented excerpts at the College Art Association Conference, and at Future Music Oregon. His digital film American Sock(tm) (2001) was included in the 2002 Fluxus International Digital Festival, and won a Silver International Design Award from Broadcast Design Association (Los Angeles, 2002). His search-engine art film PROJEK IAGHT(tm) (2005) was shown at the New York Minute Film Festival, and the San Francisco Bay-enniale (2005).
Joey Bargsten has taught at University of Iowa, Georgia Tech, Atlanta College of Art and University of Oregon. He is currently teaching in the School of Communications and Multimedia Studies at Florida Atlantic University. “
1. “Bio,” http://www.badmindtime.com, accessed November 30, 2013, http://www.badmindtime.com/bioMaterials/bargsten_bio.htm.